Wednesday, September 16, 2009

On Everything Is An Argument By Andrea A. Lunsford, John J. Ruszkiewicz

This reading was one of the most stimulating readings that I have encountered thus far in AP Composition. In this reading Andrea and John talk about how every text can be a form of an argument, whether its a flat out argument, a persuasive essay or even just a political campaign poster. I think that this reading is mainly interesting because it outlines, though not outright, how itself is an argument for arguments being in all texts.

One of the parts that I found particularly interesting in this text was the section pertaining to the ancient Statis Theory. I thought that this theory follows a good path by laying out the questions in order: Did something happen? What is its nature? What is its quality? and What actions should be taken? If answered correctly, this theory of argument would be able to solve most forensic arguments.

The section that I found most interesting in this texts was that pertaining to the Rogerian argument. This form of argument involves the aggressor finding common ground with the opponent, thereby establishing a form of trust and then presenting their argument in a non-threatening manner. I have seen this form of argument being used a lot in our society, and this seems to me to have become the most devious, yet effective form.

While I disagree that every text could be perceived as an argument (as we can define anything in any way that we choose), I liked this reading a lot and found it vary informative in enhancing my knowledge of different forms/theories on arguments.

1 comment:

  1. i completely agree with you peter. i have no idea how everything is an argument but there are some so i agree.

    ReplyDelete