Friday, September 25, 2009

My Genome, Myself: Seeking Clues in DNA by Amy Harmon

This essay was one of the most well-written and engaging choice essays that I have encountered during this term. In this essay, Amy Harmon tells the story of how she entered herself into a genome testing facility in order to be able to read her own DNA and find out clues to what her physiology will be like in the future. She talks about how she could see what traits she was given by her genes and also what diseases she would be at risk for in the future.

Throughout this essay, Amy brings up the question of whether or not it is ethical for humans to control the power to see their own make-up and their own future physiology? I believe that this is ethical, because saying that it is not is saying that every scientific breakthrough, including the discovery of DNA in the first place, is unethical. Humans have been blessed with the evolutionary capability of constantly increasing our knowledge due to our need to find out more about the world around us.

As to whether or not I would ever go through this genome testing, my answer would be no. This all seems like a waste of time to me because, while it is quite interesting, my genes do not write who I have to be. I could have some genes that say I am suppose to be ten pounds heavier than the average male, but because I am athletic and exercise constantly I am not. Also, I'm sure I do have some genes for a future of Heart disease or Kidney disease, but because I have a healthy diet I am not worried about these things.

Overall, while genes may seem valuable on the surface, they are not the final answer to any question. Our lives will never become predetermined, because of the simple fact of human ability, meaning that we can do whatever we set our minds to as long as we keep in mind two factors: devotion and patience.

For me, I'll just stick to the practice of seizing the day, because you never know if it will be here tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I don't think I would be up for seeing my DNA, either. Still, like you said in the beginning, this paper was well written and I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete